The charism of Mother Clelia has its origin in the Heart of the Church which is the Heart of Christ!
Zealous in Faith and Charity
Mother Clelia was a woman of great vision, determined in her choices, resolved to pursue her goals, and generous in responding to God’s call to found a Congregation dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
In choosing the title “Apostles,” Mother Clelia hoped to instill in her daughters the apostolic fervor of the first Apostles. Every Apostle is called to follow in the footsteps of Christ, according to the example of the Apostles, witnesses of the redemption of Christ, scattered throughout the world, animated solely by the desire to make Jesus known and loved.
To be an Apostle of Love means to be willing to witness to the love of the Heart of Jesus, always and everywhere, by her words and with her very life. She is called to live intensely the experience of love in the Heart of Christ through a life of union with Him and in accordance with his Gospel.
Reparation is an expression of great love for God and his people in response to the Church’s teaching. It was the hallmark of Mother Clelia’s spiritual journey. This reparative spirituality delineated every aspect of her life of consecration and the mission that flowed from it. The Apostle becomes fully alive if she allows herself to become imbued with the same ardent passionate love for humankind that burns in the Heart of Christ. The Apostle responds to the sufferings of humanity wounded by the evils of the world. “If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it…” (1 Cor 12:26).
DEVOTION TO THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS
“Learn from me for I am meek and humble of heart”.
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus flourished in the church during the time of Mother Clelia. With this love for the Heart of Christ, Clelia made Jesus the King and center of her heart. Like the first apostles, she wanted to express in her own life, and in her apostolate, the deep faith in and love for Jesus that inflamed her and drew her to love Him even to the cross.
Various practices that are part of the Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus include: First Friday, Sacred Heart Enthronement, and the 12 Promises of the Sacred Heart.
Nine consecutive Fridays in reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Our Lord appeared to St. Margaret Mary Alocoque (1647-1690), a French nun in the Visitation Order, and gave her the task to spread devotion to His Most Sacred Heart.
Jesus asked for special prayers and practices to make amends (reparation) for the neglect to the proper reverence owed to God. For those who did this faithfully, he promised: that he will give the grace of final penitence for all those who receive communion on nine successive first Fridays of the month; they will not die without his grace, or without having received the sacraments. His divine heart will be their sure refuge in the last moments of their life.”
Sacred Heart Enthronement
Jesus promised to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque that He will “bless the home in which the image of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honored.” When the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is enthroned in a prominent place in the home, it signifies that Jesus is the King of the family and the center and source of love for all. The image reminds us that Jesus is among us and with us. Families are encouraged to enthrone an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in their homes and to share the love of the Heart of Jesus with all those with whom they come in contact.
12 Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Given by the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St. Margaret Mary Alocoque
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
- I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners will find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Lukewarm souls shall become fervent
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.